Saturday, February 14, 2015

Eating Brussels Sprouts

Eating Brussels Sprouts

2/14/15




We know that many of us do not like these glorious vegetables and we also know to what extent some of us will go to in order to avoid eating them.  For those of us who like these little wonders we sometimes feel isolated and separate from the majority of others.  But in either case we need to recognize that it takes all kinds of people to make things go around and it is just as important to realize that no matter what a person likes to eat they are a part of the human race and part of the overall plan of God.  This concept also applies to a special group of people that are not normally spoken about yet they have reputations that precede them and who struggle over the decades while they live with this stigma.  So, eat up and enjoy!

I had a conversation the other day with one of my friends about brussels sprouts and how wonderful they were.  When I mentioned this fact to her she immediately turned and looked at me and plainly asked “how can you eat those nasty things?”  I said easy and that I put them on a fork move them up to my mouth open my mouth, and that is when the conversation ended because she hit me.  She went on about a five minute explanation of why she did not like them that included every detail from their color, smell and texture.  I can understand this about Brussels sprouts because they have a unique flavor and tastes and for a long time I had to use vinegar with them in order for me not to rethink my choice in vegetable.  However, my love for these wonders continues to grow today, so much so that I am seriously considering raising them in my garden soon.

While many of us know that vegetables are good for us, most of us, including myself, could not tell which vitamins and minerals each vegetable has within their structures.  Some may know that carrots are good for our eyes but why is that?  Others may know that corn and potatoes have certain starches that our body needs for every day function, but do we know which starches are in these foods?  It would be safe to say that the majority of us do not know the exact names and specifics of each vitamin and mineral in vegetables, but we do know that they are good for us.  They serve a specific purpose and God knew that we would need their services at some point in our lives, so He provided a great resource for these vitamins and minerals, another fantastic opportunity or option to ensure a healthy life.

It is well known that many kids have trouble eating their vegetables and some of the methods that parents have installed to make our children eat them can be quite creative and hilarious as well.  I know that my girls do not eat every vegetable that I do and it is kind of frustrating sometimes when they turn their noses up at food that is good for them.  But all of us have to endure this task and it is important that we understand that not everyone is going to accept the same foods that we like.  We have a tendency to joke about this concept but for many people in this society the game has not been easy to deal with and for others it has even driven a wedge in between families.  It does seem kind of silly but in reality it is the truth.

My parents did not have too much trouble with me in this area.  Being born and raised in the south, we had fresh vegetables almost every day and for the most part loved every variety that was placed in front of me.  My parents had a motto that they would say every once-in-a-while and it still rings true in my head today.  They were never mean or ugly about this saying but they wanted to make sure that I understood that many people in the world went hungry and that I should appreciate the food that we had because there could be a day that I had none and would fall into the same category as millions of other people.  This concept hit home to me and even until this day I say this short phrase to my girls, hoping that they too will understand the importance of God’s gift of food and how important good food is to our lives.

What about the kids whose parents forced them to eat their vegetables and would not let them leave the table until they did?  I have heard many stories of this nature along my life’s journey and each one of these stories has one of two endings.  Either these kids ended up liking the vegetables or they still cannot stand them today.  This is a common result of what occurs when people are forced into doing something that they do not approve of at first.  The degree of “force” that is used in this method also plays a factor in how kids respond to vegetables, along with other conditions and situations, down the road.  I know that at the time of incident, the parents probably are not thinking about how their children will act when they are adults concerning this issue or how they will approach this issue with their children along the way.  But in every case, some type of procedural catch will arise in the future whether in the mind or in the heart.

What about our Christian lives do they or can they fall into this same category?  More specifically what about the lives of preacher’s kids?  Ever thought about comparing a preacher’s kid to brussels sprouts?  If one stops and thinks about the comparison or to any other food, clothing or any other item that humans could despise it is very possible to see the likeness.  I could use the Church in this setting but I am going keep on track with the preacher’s kid concept because we are a special group of individuals that are rarely talked about, notice quite often and misunderstood most of the time.  We are a small group that has similar feelings and worries but in the end we have one or two final decisions that we make in order to live out our lives.

Being a preacher’s kid is a unique experience and one that has a life-long memory lane that if completely told would never end.  It is a category in which certain requirements are expected, both in the do and don’t categories and it is these categories that many of us struggle with for decades.  As with vegetables preacher’s kids have the knowledge of some of the intricate details of the Church and about God but it is ultimately the way that these subjects are presented to us that make or break us with God and the Church.  This view is a unique one and will have very different takes upon it which means that the shape, texture and content will be different from all of the other common vegetables – people.

I cannot control what other preacher’s families do or how they conduct their everyday household, but I do understand that this setting is very important to us and it directs us in many aspects and decisions along our paths.  I know that some preacher’s kids were forced to go to church every time the doors were opened and scolded when they missed a service for whatever reason.  I also recognize that some of my fellow PK’s were not allowed to participate in any or most extra-curricular activities at school because of this rigid structure that they were required to adhere to.  I know from a personal level that not all preacher’s kids lives fall into this category and that some were taught a little differently when it came to these conditions.

First of all people must recognize that PK’s did not choose to have this status plunged upon them, it was inherited to us by the calling of God on our parents.  It is through this calling that places us into a special and unique category because the positions that our fathers and mothers hold.  It is this calling against the world that represents why PKs are vulnerable to added temptations to rebel from God and His ways.  It is this status that brings the description of a brussels sprout into light, and to be fair, I question sometimes, through the stories that my fellow PKs tell, if the parents of PKs actually realize this inherited status on our lives.  I do not mean to sound harsh or provide animosity within the hearts of anyone involved in this process, but this subject is one that is separating PKs from God and, in turn, personally live tortured lives because of the pressures surrounding them.  It is not easy being placed into this category and for many the lives that they live, both at home and church, can vary greatly but when it is all said and done everyone knows the real life of the brussels sprout in question.

I had a conversation with my mother the other day concerning this subject.  I have always been proud of the fact that I was a preacher’s kid and that I really had no ill feelings towards God or them for the calling that God has on my family.  I was one of those kids that was expected to be in church each week but I was allowed to have a life when it came to being around friends, after school activities and other engagements that took me away from church services on occasion.  My mother disagreed with me on this portion and was under the belief that they forced me to go to church but I quickly responded that they did not.  Yes, they expected me to be in church but they never forced me to be there and I explained to her that this condition was a huge difference and that not every PKs household was the same as ours.  Ministers have to make some hard stands when it comes to their families and it is through these stances that make or break their effectiveness within their communities.  The same goes for PKs as well and the same discretion should be applied on this level as well.

Secondly, I understand why people do not like certain vegetables, for one of the major factors in their decision not to like them is because they were forced to eat them when they were younger.  The same principle applies to PKs and it is because of these measures that many leave God and never return to Him.  Some of my fellow PKs turn before they leave home but others wait until they are no longer under the guardianship of their parents.  Yet others stay focused upon God and the plan for their lives with some becoming ministers themselves.  I wish I could say that this pattern fit for every PK out there, but it does not and so does the manipulative games that our enemy plays with PKs as well.  This phenomenon does not occur within one denomination, all are represented in this category. 

An area in which many PKs do not understand lies in living within the confines of a holy minister and the added blessings upon their lives, this calling also brings extra unwanted attacks as well.  I must admit that PKs serve the church in many ways and for most of us we do not comprehend this status until we are older, if even at all.  Parishioners, congregations and the actual community can pretty much gather the necessary information about the minister and their churches just by the way that their families conduct themselves; an example of a blessing or a curse.  Is this always a 100% evaluation? No, but it does provide a great deal of value to those trying to make decisions upon the Church.  This is why it is very important that people understand the added pressures on PKs, for we are a prime target of our enemy.

On a third level, we PKs also need to understand that we should not deliberately cause trouble for our parents.  Ministers have a hard enough position within the world and they too face many worldly pressures in which they have decisions to make.  Yes, sometimes ministers can be harsh and even present ugly family situations for they are humans as well, but our position is one that we need to keep in order and do not further damage our reputation by creating extra havoc on our family.  I have known many PKs and other “high ranking” church official’s kids with attitudes of anger and hate towards their parents and vow to do what they wish and thumb their noses at the way they were raised.  Kind of sounds like the Church and how she is acting today.

It is easy for us to make things a little more difficult on our parents if we are forced to go to church and to attend each and every function that is held at the church.  For the most part we comply with this effort out of respect for our parents and their positions, but not all adhere to these activities.  It is at this point where many PKs make the decision to rebel and allow dissention into our hearts and once this has begun, it is very easy to go out of our way to ensure we do what we want instead of what we should be doing.  For the most part this setting would apply to every kid, teenager or adult but with our added status it places us in a higher category.  It always amazes me how the words preacher’s kid or son or daughter of a minister accompanies the person when trouble finds them; it is not always true when others become involved on the wrong side of the law.

I wish I could say that every PK understood that they are not required to join the ministry, but in many circumstances this is just not the case.  It has been known that many PKs were forced to go into the ministry and be just like their parents, but what good does that origin of ministry create?  The calling of God is a special one and should be taken very seriously.  I love to listen to my dad talk about his experience with God when he was called into the ministry, but as I sit and absorb that information into my life, I am serving God in a total different capacity than what my father is; and that is perfect with God.  I recognize that I am a brussels sprout and not a carrot.  I know that my personality is unique and will hit home for some but maybe not for many.  I may grow within the same vegetable garden as the peas, onions, garlic and tomatoes, but my presence and growth patterns are surely different than them common vegetables.  Be kind to us brussels sprouts, for we serve a special purpose in someone’s life.  Ministers be good to your vegetables for they represent you and your legacy within God’ Kingdom.  Yeah, we are going to stand out and be different, carry a certain stigma about us and attract some really goofy characters, but that is why God made us to ensure that all types of people are reached for the goodness that God has for our lives. 

For those brussels sprouts that have gone sour, I pray for you and I hope that one day you allow God to restore your viability once again.  God loves you and He understands all of the pains and hurts that you encountered while growing up.  You have a divine purpose in life and it has nothing to do with what the world has to offer.  I cannot change your surroundings but I can once again offer you the one gift that can miraculously change your life and it is the one that you have been running from, God.  For those brussels sprouts that remained in God I salute you!!  Stand firm and hold your heads up proudly, for we are a small yet chosen group of knit wits that are special to God’s heart.  We had a tough job growing up but we came through with flying colors.  All of us should be proud of our heritage and it should embolden us to be a beacon of energy for God’s Kingdom.  God loves you and it is a love that as long as we stay within His laws, will shine to a dark and dying world and will minister to those that are lost.







DLB

No comments:

Post a Comment