Saturday, September 7, 2019

Following My Father


Following My Father

9/7/19




Not everyone has a good role model in their father for the way society accepts people these days the selfish personification of individuality rules instead of what is best for their family.  While this is not a new concept concerning life it seems like it is running more rampant than ever.  However, while we are voluntarily stuck in the muck of our actions there is a way out through the perfect example of God the Father.  His Ways are so magnificent that they have the greatest answers to not only our personal problems and questions but for every question or problem that the world can dream up and throw at us.  For those who have either had a great father to look up to while drawing breath and to those who have not had the greatest father to look up to, God is the perfect Father to have and to follow.  As long as you draw breath God is there for you and He is waiting for you to run to Him for Truth, for protection, and for eternal life.  The world shall never promote this Way nor shall it provide such a guarantee, But God is so willing to give it to us if we turn to Him and live under His Ways.

I am so lucky to still have both of my parents in my physical life today.  While we have not always seen eye-to-eye on every detail about my life, their lives, and life in-general I have learned so much about life and how to successfully deal with through their presence and actions.  There are numerous stories I could tell you about the things that my parents tried to teach me so that I would not have to experience them if I thought about things before making rash or crazy choices; however, being the typical young person that I was I decided that they did not know any better and were outdated from the current world so I chose my own path in many ways and chose to address things in my own manner.  Most of the time I fell flat on my face and ran back to them when times became too difficult to handle on my own.  They never condemned me nor were they ever condescending to me either but they did their best to try and explain things to me that would make me think twice before doing such activities again.  Now that I am a parent and have raised my girls and have watched them go through their high times with joy and also cried with them when their hearts were ripped from their chests as well just as my parents did with me.

Because of the nature God in which sends me article titles and their content, I normally would not be writing this article immediately after completing the previous article.  God usually gives me subjects three or four at a time and it takes me a bit to complete those thoughts before I begin another topic.  But this time things are a bit different for I am beginning this article with no notes written and only the thought that God placed into my heart as I was completing the process of the previous article called “We Are Wicked?”.  After I have put an article where it needs to go and sent it to the ones who want to read it by email and my blog, I get excited for it is then time that I get to highlight the Scriptures that God used for that article and underline them with a pen.  As Nahum 1:1-3 was given to me I immediately recognized that pop had read these verses and had partially underlined them probably for thought that God had given him some time ago.  I absolutely love to sit and flip through the leaves of his old Bible that he gave to me some years ago and I have sat many an hour just looking at all the pages marked by his hand and at the same time tried to imagine what God was showing him as he marked those beautiful words.  The majority of the Bible that he gave me is either highlighted already or marked with an underline a precious remembrance of how fervently pop wanted to know and then show the Word of God to others.

But this time was different as I stated above for as I was about to do my completion highlighting God spoke to my heart and gave me the topic of the article I was supposed to write next.  As for many of us out in the world, we have a tendency of wanting to make it on our own and learn the things concerning life in the manner in which it presents itself to us.  We know that not every day that we are present on this earth will be filled with joy, happiness, and roses but we do hope that the majority of our days come along in some type of favorable manner.  While it is natural for us to attack the situations that come our way before they get out of hand, some of us do not wish to resort to confrontation and wait and see if it passes without any harm done.  Well, we all know that if a situation that is not conducive to our lives arises and we do not deal with it appropriately it will inevitably come back to bite us sometime down the road.  At that moment, I always told myself that I wished I had listened to mom and dad earlier for things may have turned out a tad different if I had.  How many of us have to raise our hands on that one?

As my highlighter was finished lining the words of Nahum 1:1-3, with its fluorescent yellow color I let it dry for a minute or two before I picked up my red ink pen to underline the highlighted verses.  I stopped for a second before I did and I noticed that pop’s red pen that he used some time ago on portions of this passage bled a bit when the highlighter covered it.  Even though the red pen had been there for quite some time it still bled over a bit when I applied the yellow color over it.  There is nothing wrong with this scene and it did not do any damage to the page or did it inhibit the words where they could not be read again, but it was here that God showed me and then gave me the title and content of this article.  As I sat in my chair at the desk, I suddenly was reminded that my father had previously been looking at this page and God was giving him another sermon or nugget to give to someone in his congregation, it could have been decades ago that this occurred I do not know.

What struck me hard was the fact that pop was listening to God about a certain topic of a sermon that he was preparing, or a bit of provision of God’s wisdom he was going to give to someone, or some other word from God for His people.  Pop was obeying what Jesus was showing him to write down and he underlined the passage that God gave to him to focus on when he did preach or speak to whomever it was that God wanted to hear it.  Now, I have no idea what pop said to those who heard it nor do I know exactly what God told pop to say either but what I do know is that God gave me the exact same passage, or at least a portion of it that pop used some time ago, and that means that I am following my father in the same path as pop did when he followed his Father.

I would give anything to turn back the clock of my life and relive some of those times where my selfish heart was silent to the advice and words that my father and mother said to me.  Instead of dreading to hear their voices “lecture” me I should have been sitting at their feet listening to the sound advice they wanted me to learn.  I know that those days are long gone and that they can never be brought back but as I have stated before and probably will state it many times more before they leave this world I continue to learn something from them every day that I walk this earth.  There are days that I am not able to see their faces or to hear the physical voices but even then there are things and situations that present themselves to me and I think about their words or ways and I cannot help but place those actions into motion.  With this passage of Scripture that God used in the previous article, combined with the message of this article it makes me realize one important aspect about God that should be in the hearts of every person who considers themselves a Christian and that is it is very important to understand that God has already been where you are at now and He knows exactly how to deal with any circumstance or setting you are going through or about to go through.

I am amazed at how many topics I still have to write about that deal with Genesis chapters 1-3, I have a stack literally three inches high just on those three chapters alone and I bet that God can give me a mile in length with the first three words of Genesis 1:1 if He wanted to; I guess I will have plenty of time to write about those auricles from and about Him in Heaven someday.  Continuing on, I know that what God showed my father about these verses some time ago probably differ a tad but at the same time I know that if I ever find where that sermon or those sermons are at I guarantee that they will complement each other because I know my father heard the voice of God and obeyed what He gave him to write.  It is exciting to me to know that what I am doing with these articles is in complete obedience to God and what He has given me to do, I do such things strictly by His help and cannot give any recognition or glory to anyone else but Him, for I am a worthless worm that deserves death and cannot do such things without His guidance and grace.

Just this last week, I asked my parents if they still had some of dad’s tapes of the sermons that he recorded, they said yes.  I have not had the opportunity to listen to any of them yet, in fact, I have not even received any of them but I cannot help but believe that God put this passage in my heart to encourage me to remind me that I am following in my father’s footsteps through the studying and understanding of his eternal Father.  I just hope and pray that I can be half the man that my father and mother wanted me to be in their eyes and hearts, for they did so much good during their ministry years.  I hope that my heart stays tender and pure to those who are dying in their sins and to gently teach the Truth to them as my parents did for so many decades.  I have begun this journey in my adulthood and feel sometimes that I have wasted so many opportunities to share the gospel due to my stubbornness and closed hearing but I cannot look back and shall not look back on these things for my heart is turned to God and looking for His guidance to give to those who are lost.

So, while there is no official passage used in this article, I guess the process of underlining and highlighting Nahum 1:1-3 can do service today.  I thank God that He continues to give me the opportunity to tell others about His Ways and Love through the words that He gives me, and I pray that He allows me to have the time to complete each one that He gives me as well.  I also pray that the words I type are clear and precise then strikes a chord into the hearts that need to hear them.  It is my desire to be a good example of Christ even though my physical body and character do not reflect Him at times; Church, I hope this is your heart’s desire and cry as well for it is the mission of our lives and the only thing we were Created to do, follow in our Father’s footsteps.  God knows that we know that not everyone on this earth has a good earthly father to follow, yet at the same time, it is our responsibility to tell them that they do have a perfect and eternal Father that has provided the wonderful path of Truth for each one of them.  If we do not provide this information and Truth to them we are acting just like those parents that care nothing for the children they brought into the world.  God loves each one of us according to how He loves His son and it is eternally vital that we share this Truth with them.  Thank you, Pop, for showing me and teaching me about God.






DLB

No comments:

Post a Comment